this is one of the jobs I had dreaded the most. The leading edge of the roof and the full windscreen surround are badly in need of replacment. If if goes wrong then I will either not be able to get the screen in or the roof will look uneven, and the guttering looking bad. Here goes……
I used a spitfire Mk4 windscreen surround to replace mine as it was very bad.
At the time there was also a front roof repair panel available. However, I think I purchased one of the last available. I understand the one popular alternative methods is too fabricate the roof panel out of an old style Mini rear valance panel.
Then get the spitfire surround welded in place. The top corners will need to be built up slightly to meet the roof corners. (about 1cm at the outside corners. http://mygt6.com/images/IMAG0194.jpg )
then ground back to smooth.
Then next stage was welding a strip all the way along the top of the spitftire panel for the roof panel leading edge to clamp and weld too.
I also had to repair the front side guttering’s. This involved bending and folding some strips to match the profile of the gutters in place. That then welds too the corners of the screen that you will have built up as above.
Then is is really a case of making sure the roof panel is all lined up as you want, tacking the front edge on and then the rear edge where it joins the old roof. (care must be taken at these edges due to the heat being put into the steel. It is all to easy to distort the panel at the final hurdle and then set you back many hours and too make the final result no as pleasing the the eye) Stitch weld only taking time at low current for the stell too cool between welds…
Then I trimed the leading edg to a nice curve that sits well with the roof. Fold the side guttering up and over the roof edges and blend / weld to the old guttering.
Now its really a case of Filling and sanding until you are happy with the finish.
The suspension was assembled as pictured above, but was subsequently stripped and I fitted a lowering bracket, Gaz shockabsorbers were also utilised. While apart I wanted to get rid of the old Rotoflex driveshafts and replace them with the Canley Classics, CV jointed drive shafts. The Idea behind this was to extend the life, reduce the servicing needs and reduce the risk of catastrophic failure that the original shafts can suffer from.
When approaching the job of taking apart rear suspension. BE CAREFUL. If you are working on a Rotoflex model, be warned, the rear suspension is under a huge amount of tension. the spring must be supported with a lever and axle stand if the body is still in situation. the method I used was to replace the differential studs with longer threaded bar. Then when all bolted to the rear uprights and wishbones, tighten the spring down in situ with the longer studding in the differential. I used this method due to a lack of weight on the rear of the car due to no tub, glass and trim being present.
this is the front suspension corner as remover, uuugghhh……
Stripped, painted, re bushed, new bearings, new trunions, new ball joints and new disk. Done
fully re built front nearside corner
Both front corners received the same treatment. Fully stripped, painted, Re-bushed, new trunions, new wheel bearings, new disks, new top ball joints, New Shock absorbers, new Springs, new track rod ends, new steering rack and new Anti roll bar.