Here i am fitting the front panels and bumper to my Triumph GT6 Mk3. Unfortunately i have had to fit an old bumper for now.
In these picture I am trial fitting the front valance so I can line up some brackets to be welded on. These will be the mounting points for the front numberplate.
The front indicators are installed and working after a few hours tracking faults in the loom. Hazard light were a pain. I got there in the end after finding the green/red and Green/white wires from the switch to the bulbs had internal breaks in the loom.
I am trying to get the car ready to move to another location. Ideally I would like to have the valance painted and on. Also with the bonnet fitted and aligned. The difficulty is in getting the bonnet to the car. I might resort to putting it on a roof rack.
After a lot of Jiggling and poking, I eventually got the two glasses fitted to the GT6. Then realised I had to remove them to fit the galss seal clips for the inner and outer weather strips.
I had stop short of fully installing the door contents as my rear window channel had not window felt guide remaining in it. Never fear, its now on order along with the drivers mirror. I think that is the first item I will need to fit on the other door.
Fitting the door was quite a pain. It still has quite a gap to the sill. It seems I need to remove the lower hinge-body gasket. The hinge is as far in as i can move it. we shall see..
Below is the latest nightmare. The drivers door appears to be too long. The the door adjusted fully forwards, the door skin still contacts the rear wing at the lower swage line. All I can think to do is grind the door skin back a few mill, then tag the skin back together with weld.
this is one of the jobs I had dreaded the most. The leading edge of the roof and the full windscreen surround are badly in need of replacment. If if goes wrong then I will either not be able to get the screen in or the roof will look uneven, and the guttering looking bad. Here goes……
I used a spitfire Mk4 windscreen surround to replace mine as it was very bad.
At the time there was also a front roof repair panel available. However, I think I purchased one of the last available. I understand the one popular alternative methods is too fabricate the roof panel out of an old style Mini rear valance panel.
Then get the spitfire surround welded in place. The top corners will need to be built up slightly to meet the roof corners. (about 1cm at the outside corners. http://mygt6.com/images/IMAG0194.jpg )
then ground back to smooth.
Then next stage was welding a strip all the way along the top of the spitftire panel for the roof panel leading edge to clamp and weld too.
I also had to repair the front side guttering’s. This involved bending and folding some strips to match the profile of the gutters in place. That then welds too the corners of the screen that you will have built up as above.
Then is is really a case of making sure the roof panel is all lined up as you want, tacking the front edge on and then the rear edge where it joins the old roof. (care must be taken at these edges due to the heat being put into the steel. It is all to easy to distort the panel at the final hurdle and then set you back many hours and too make the final result no as pleasing the the eye) Stitch weld only taking time at low current for the stell too cool between welds…
Then I trimed the leading edg to a nice curve that sits well with the roof. Fold the side guttering up and over the roof edges and blend / weld to the old guttering.
Now its really a case of Filling and sanding until you are happy with the finish.
The GT6 Information, Restoration,and Documentation Site.